Youth Education Program
Through our Community Investment - Youth Education Program, EDC helps build the capacity of the next generation of business leaders by awarding scholarships to Canadian students with a demonstrated interest in international business.
International Business Scholarships
EDC created the International Business Scholarships because international trade is critical to Canada’s economic prosperity and we’re dedicated to helping students like YOU – the next generation of business leaders – to succeed.
We award up to 30 scholarships annually, 25 of which go to undergraduate university or college students interested in pursuing a career or furthering their studies in international business, with up to 5 additional scholarships for students in programs which combine business with environmental or sustainability studies. An EDC scholarship is worth a $4,000 cash award. Scholarships are awarded in spring, and issued in autumn at the start of each academic year.
The application deadline for the International Business Scholarship Program has now passed and we thank all applicants for their interest. All scholarship winners will be directly notified by early April 2013.
Check Your Eligibility
To be eligible, you must be:
- a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada
- currently enrolled in a full-time accredited bachelor’s degree at a Canadian public university or college.
- in second, third or fourth year (but not final year)
- returning to full-time post-secondary studies for the 2013-2014 academic year
- enrolled in a program focused on international business, finance, economics, or a combination of business with environmental/sustainability studies.
- in excellent academic standing
Business experience outside Canada will be considered an asset.
Note: employees of EDC and dependents of employees of EDC are not eligible.
Key Selection Criteria
Scholarships are awarded by a selection committee who evaluates applications based on the following criteria:
- Demonstrated interest in pursuing a career or furthering studies in international business or business combined with environmental or sustainability studies
- National or international professional work experience (including internships)
- Other international experience (volunteering, studies abroad and other)
- Demonstrated leadership and team player skills (as reflected in letters of reference, volunteering or extra-curricular activities)
- Academic achievement (as reflected in grades and awards received)
- Strength of letter of intent
- Strength of letters of reference by an academic and a current or former employer
- Languages written and spoken
What's the Process?
- Apply online. Applications, including all supporting documents, must be submitted online by Monday, February 4, 2013 (23:59:59 EST).
- With the exception of references submitted by the referee, no supporting documents are accepted by mail or email. Faxes are not accepted.
- Applications will be reviewed by a selection committee including academic, business and EDC representatives. Winners will be notified of their selection by early April 2013. The financial awards are paid directly to the student in fall 2013.
Supplementary documents must be submitted electronically using the online application form.
The following supporting documents are required.
- Letter of Intent
A statement describing your area(s) of interest and commitment related to international business or business combined with environmental or sustainability studies, and your proposed academic and career path to be successful in a career in this field. Also, highlight past/current/planned activities that demonstrate your leadership potential.
- Maximum 500 words. Preferred 1.5 spacing and 12pt font.
A recent version of your resume.
- Maximum 3 pages. Preferred 1.5 spacing and 12pt font.
A clear, scanned copy of your official transcript(s) from all post-secondary institutions (university, college, cégep or institute of technology) attended, including the most recent academic term.
- Transcripts must include detailed information on the grading system specific to the postsecondary institution.
- We reserve the right to request the original transcript.
- We strongly recommend applicants order a recent transcript from their institution well in advance of the application deadline.
A clear scanned copy of an official document demonstrating Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status in Canada.
- Examples of official documents include Canadian passport, birth certificate, citizenship or permanent resident card.
- The copy of your official document proving citizenship or permanent resident status will not be provided to the selection committee but is used to determine eligibility only.
Two references are required:
- One academic reference from a professor at your current university or college
- One reference from a current or former employer
Confirmation of Professional Work Experience Abroad (optional) This form is optional. Additional points are awarded to applicants who have completed professional work experience abroad. To receive these points, EDC recommends you have your international employer complete the employer reference form. If you do not wish to use your international employer as your employer reference, you can have your international employer submit the following form. This form can be submitted by email or by mail (see options 1 and 2 above for references). Confirmation of Professional Work Experience Abroad Form (PDF)
- An employer reference from an academic will be accepted if the reference refers to paid work, such as a teaching or research assistant role.
- Additional references will not be accepted.
- Referees must complete the official EDC scholarships reference form. They may attach a one-page letter of recommendation to the official form.
- Academic reference form (PDF)
- Employer reference form (PDF)
- References must be prepared and submitted confidentially. Referees must submit their reference directly to the EDC International Business Scholarships Manager, and can do so by email or mail.
- Option 1: Email the completed reference form (and accompanying letter) to EDC-Scholarships-Bourses@cbie.ca. Subject line should read "Reference for Student First Name Last Name". Acceptable formats are: .doc, .docx, .pdf, .jpg. References submitted by the student via email will not be accepted.
- Option 2: Mail reference form (and accompanying letter) to the address below. Document must be in a sealed envelope with the referee's signature across the flap, and can be submitted by the student.
Frequently Asked Questions
Questions about Eligibility
- I am a second (or third) year undergraduate university student in Natural Resources Management or Environmental Studies. Am I eligible to apply for one of the scholarships for business studies combined with environment or sustainability studies?
If, in addition to natural resources or environmental studies courses, your program includes courses in business then you are eligible to apply.
- I am only taking one international business course. Am I eligible to apply?
If you are in a business or economics program, and applying in the international business category, you must show evidence of interest in international business either through your curriculum (courses taken or that you are planning to take) or your extracurricular activities. However, if you are in a combined environment and business program, you do not need to be taking international business courses.
- I am a CEGEP graduate and I was admitted directly to the second year of a bachelor’s degree program. Am I eligible to apply?
CEGEP and International Baccalaureate graduates sometimes enter their bachelor’s degree program in second year, and complete their degree requirements in three years. In this case, you are eligible to apply in your second and third year (which are in fact your first and second year at university). If in doubt, contact us.
- I am a college student in a university transfer program. Am I eligible to apply?
If you are a college student in the second year of a four-year degree transfer program (that is, two years at college followed by two years at university to obtain a bachelor’s degree) and have already been accepted into the third year of the university program, you are eligible to apply for the scholarship.
- How do I know if my college has degree granting authority?
Degree granting authority is regulated by provincial governments. In 2011, EDC verified with the ten provincial governments which colleges have degree granting authority for bachelor programs relevant to the EDC Scholarships program. These colleges are:
I am a college student completing a diploma program, am I eligible to apply?
- Algonquin College
- British Columbia Institute of Technology
- Camosun College
- College of the Rockies
- Conestoga College
- Douglas College
- George Brown College
- Georgian College
- Humber College
- Langara College
- Niagara College
- North Island College
- Northern Alberta Institute of Technology
- Okanagan College
- Seneca College
- Sheridan College
- Southern Alberta Institute of Technology
No. The Program is only available for students completing a bachelor’s degree program.I am currently in my second or third year of my second bachelor’s degree program. Am I eligible to apply?
The Program is only open to students enrolled full-time in their first
bachelor’s degree program.I am an international student at a Canadian university or college completing a bachelor’s degree program. Am I eligible?
The Program is open only to Canadian students who are citizens or permanent residents of Canada.I am a Canadian bachelor’s degree student studying international trade at a university in Ottawa but I am currently on a co-op work term in Toronto. May I apply for the scholarship even though I am not taking courses at the moment?
Yes, you are eligible to apply.I am a student in an MBA or other related graduate studies program. Am I eligible to apply?
The Program is only available for students completing bachelor’s degree programs. EDC does not offer any graduate scholarships. We recommend you consult the Government of Canada’s International Scholarships website
.I already received an EDC International Business Scholarship. Can I apply again?
Yes, you can apply provided you still meet the program’s eligibility requirements.
Questions about the Application Form & Supporting Documents
- I am a member of one of the three under-represented groups indicated in the online application. If I self-identify, does this have an impact on my application?
Applicants who meet all selection criteria and score in the top group of applicants, and who self-identify have an increased chance of obtaining a scholarship.
- I am currently on an exchange outside of Canada. Can I have an extension on the deadline for supporting documents?
We must receive your online application, including all supporting documents, on or before the deadline. If you have extenuating circumstances, please contact us regarding an extension for supporting documents.
- Can I submit my application with unofficial transcripts on or before the deadline, with my official transcripts to arrive later?
No. We must receive your online application, including all supporting documents, on or before the deadline. If you have extenuating circumstances, please contact us regarding an extension for supporting documents.
- Can I submit supporting documents by mail?
No. All supporting documents, with the exception of references, must be submitted online along with your application.
- Are high school transcripts required?
No, high school transcripts are not required.
- Are CEGEP transcripts required?
Yes, CEGEP transcripts are required.
- I cannot obtain an official transcript (with the most recent semester) from my university or college before the deadline. What should I do?
Please contact us regarding an extension for official transcripts.
- Can I submit the reference letter on behalf of my referee?
References must be submitted confidentially. If the reference is submitted by email, then it must be submitted directly by the referee. If the reference is submitted by mail, then it can be submitted by the applicant provided it is in a sealed envelope with the referee’s signature across the flap.
- Can I submit more than two references? How will the committee view additional references?
Only two references (one academic and one employer) will be sent to the selection committee.
- Can I ask a professor to be an employer reference?
If you have completed paid work for the professor, either as a research or teaching assistant, then a professor can provide an employer reference.
- Can I use a reference for volunteer work as my employer reference?
Yes, the employer reference can be for either paid or volunteer work.
- Is the official reference form mandatory? Can I also submit a reference letter?
The official reference form is mandatory. It can be accompanied by a one-page reference letter.
- I have completed professional work experience outside of Canada. How does the selection committee recognize this experience?
Professional work experience outside of Canada is valued by the selection committee. You will be awarded extra points if this experience in greater than three months. To receive these points, you must either 1. Have your foreign employer complete the employer reference form, or 2. Have your foreign employer complete the professional work experience abroad form.
- What is acceptable proof of citizenship?
Acceptable proof of citizenship documents are a Canadian passport, citizenship or permanent resident card or birth certificate.
- What is considered strong academic standing for this program?
Most applicants have a minimum B average.
- Are scholarship applicants considered for internships with EDC or DFAIT?
Recruitment for internships with EDC and DFAIT is independent from the EDC Scholarship program. To ensure you are considered for internship opportunities with EDC or DFAIT you must apply separately for specific internship positions posted on EDC's Careers page or on the Careers in the federal Public Service website. Scholarship recipients (not applicants) will have their resume forwarded to both the EDC and DFAIT Human Resources departments if they expressed an interest in internship opportunities on their EDC Scholarship application.
Who to Contact
The International Business Scholarship is administered on behalf of Export Development Canada by the Canadian Bureau for International Education. For additional information, please contact:
EDC International Business Scholarships
attn: Janine Knight-Grofe
Canadian Bureau for International Education
220 Laurier Avenue West, Suite 1550
Tel: 613-237-4820 ext 245
Hear from some of our past scholarship winners
Véronique Grenier, 2010
Undergraduate Program: B. Com. (Honours) International Management, University of Ottawa
Career Objective: International sustainable development and aid
"EDC has truly been a key player in obtaining my university degree, as well as in developing my early professional career. Not only has EDC invested in me financially by facilitating my participation in an international exchange, but it has also invested in my career by providing me with a priceless internship opportunity with the corporate responsibility team. In my four months at EDC, I gained invaluable experience in international trade and corporate social responsibility. What more could I have ever asked for! The EDC Scholarship has been the key to the door to my future!”
Andrea Di Lucca, 2009
Undergraduate Program: Bachelor of Commerce, International Business Specialization
Career Objective: Advisor in international Corporate Social Responsibility and stakeholder engagement
"Receiving the EDC Scholarship has inspired me to contribute to the international business community’s efforts to foster positive change. The summer work term that I was offered with EDC’s Corporate Responsibility team has allowed me to apply my skills and knowledge in a setting that is relevant to my career aspirations. Above all, the scholarship and work term have instilled in me a desire to promote the value of addressing corporate social responsibility and community engagement.”
Monica Hrubcin, 2009
Undergraduate Program: Bachelor of International Business, Carleton University
Career Objective: International business marketing
“When I found out I won the EDC scholarship, it was one of the most memorable moments of my life! Being recognized and rewarded for your hard work is an honour. The scholarship allowed me to concentrate on my work without having to worry about finances. As a recipient of a work term at EDC, I gained invaluable international business work experience and had the opportunity to meet other professionals and students in similar fields.”
2012 EDC International Business Scholarship Winners
- Mathew Baptista - University of Guelph
- Calvin Barrett - University of Manitoba
- Simon Bibeau - McGill University
- Connor Bildfell - University of Victoria
- Cory Boles - University of British Columbia
- Adrian Caguiat - Ryerson University
- Paul Decaire - HEC Montreal
- Jiemi Gao - Western University
- Sophie Giguère Samson - York University
- Émilien Gouin-Bonenfant - Université de Montréal
- Aleithia de Guzman - Queens' University
- Meghan Horosko - University of Lethbridge
- Ray Howard - Ryerson University
- Mimi Lam - Carleton University
- Connor Lyons - Western University
- Lindsay McLean - University of Calgary
- Annik Mitterer - Bishop's University
- Esper Nemi - York University
- Je Youn (Jane) Park - York University
- Jeannette Rouire - University of Waterloo
- Chris Royle - York University
- Thomas Schellenberg - Georgian College
- Zhengyang Sharon Sun - Carleton University
- Miroslav (Mirko) Suzarac - Simon Fraser University
- Mengxi (Tom) Tang - Ryerson University
- Jennifer Viscosi - University of Ottawa
- Jonathan Wade - Concordia University
- Ivy Wan - University of British Columbia
- Shang-Lynn (Sunny) Yang - University of Alberta
- Aamna Zia - University of Lethbridge
2011 EDC International Business Scholarship Winners
- Alice Bao - University of Waterloo
- Sheila Ball - University of Waterloo
- Ethan Baron - University of Winnipeg
- Isabelle Boileau - Université du Québec à Montréal
- Caroline Breuer - Queen's University
- Marielle Chartier Hénault - HEC Montréal
- Kara Chiki - Wilfrid Laurier University
- Marc Coderre - University of Victoria
- Matthew Corluka - Carleton University
- Kayleigh Donahue - University of Alberta
- Valeriya Edemskaya - University of Victoria
- Kayley Fulton - University of Lethbridge
- Mingqiu Guo - Simon Fraser University
- Yunjoo Jang - York University
- Oksana Kovalenko - Acadia University
- Mathieu Labrèche - Université Laval
- Jevta Lukic - Simon Fraser University
- Emily McLean - University of Guelph
- Da In (Carissa) Oh - McGill University
- Mihaela Pal - University of Guelph
- Samantha Phelan - Memorial University of Newfoundland
- Stefano Polloni - Université de Montréal
- Danielle Ruggles - University of Waterloo
- Mark Tsou - University of Waterloo
- Jonas White - University of Western Ontario
- Heng Zhang - University of Calgary
- Christine Zhou - Queen's University
- Jennifer Zhou - York University
- Kevin Zhou - University of Western Ontario
- Aamna Zia - University of Lethbridge
Subscribe to our online magazine for tips on how to help your business thrive.