Export Development Canada (EDC) and its Board of Directors welcome the Government of Canada’s appointment of Mairead Lavery as President and Chief Executive Officer, effective February 5, 2019.
Ms. Lavery joined EDC in 2014, as Senior Vice President (SVP), Business Development Group. As SVP she has led a team responsible for connecting with Canadian companies and equipping them to grow and diversify their international business. During her time at EDC, the corporation has seen its relevance to Canadian companies grow, with over 13,000 customers being served in 2018 – a record number.
“I am very pleased that Ms. Lavery has accepted to serve as President and Chief Executive Officer of EDC. Her extensive experience in finance, strategic planning and corporate transformation, along with her passion for EDC’s mandate, will be invaluable assets when leading the corporation as it continues to evolve to meet the changing needs of Canadian business,” said Martine Irman, Chair of EDC Board of Directors.
“This is an exciting and important time to be a part of EDC. Today, Canadian businesses have greater exporting opportunities globally yet are facing increasing complexity and risks. Trade has never been more important and our Board of Directors is looking forward to working alongside Ms. Lavery to support the corporation with its mandate to help Canadian companies of all sizes go, grow and succeed internationally.”
Ms. Irman also extended her gratitude to Mr. Benoit Daignault for his steadfast dedication during his 15-year career at EDC, which included serving proudly as the President and CEO over the last five years.
“Mr. Daignault’s vision to expand EDC’s relevance to Canadian companies and grow their impact in the global marketplace has been unwavering. His commitment to evolve and adapt for today’s modern exporter while upholding EDC’s strict commitments to sustainable and responsible business practices has been nothing short of exceptional,” said Ms. Irman.
- Ms. Lavery came to EDC from Bombardier Inc., after sixteen years in various leadership roles including Vice-President (VP) Finance, VP Strategy, Business Development and Structured Finance and VP Transformation and Shared Services.
- Ms. Lavery is a native of Northern Ireland and holds a degree in Management and Accounting from Queen’s University Belfast.
- EDC is Canada’s official export credit agency (ECA), providing a range of solutions, which help Canadian companies of all sizes diversify and take on the world, including financing, insurance, bonding, trade knowledge, and matchmaking connections. It also helps Canadian companies sell and invest abroad.
- EDC has been supporting Canadian trade for 75 years. The corporation has 19 offices across Canada and a network of representations around the world, all with the focus of connecting with Canadian companies and helping them go, grow and succeed internationally.
- In 2018, EDC served over 13,000 Canadian companies through its knowledge, connections, financing and insurance solutions – a record amount for the corporation.
- In 2018, EDC donated to 35 charitable organizations across Canada including its participation in EDC’s annual community investment day where more than 1,100 employees volunteered their time in support of 53 charities.
Export Development Canada (EDC) is a financial Crown corporation dedicated to helping Canadian businesses make an impact at home and abroad. EDC has the financial products and knowledge Canadian companies need to confidently enter new markets, reduce financial risk and grow their business as they go from local to global. Together, EDC and Canadian companies are building a more prosperous, stronger and sustainable economy for all Canadians.
For more information and to learn how we can help your company, call us at 1-800-229-0575 or visit www.edc.ca.
Export Development Canada